Monday, February 14, 2011

Teaching English

Hello my friends and family or hello to my one big happy family!

I am happy to say that things are going very well. I don't miss you all as much as I have in the past. Haha.

I'm just kidding. 

With all the time to yourself - being the only white person around - you really get "in the zone." 
Whether I'm super busy here at the orphanage, tripping out on some new spiritual realization, thinking of absolutely nothing or just loosing my mind making lists of things like, "want black FRYE boots," "watch Top Gun," ? "craving Bayleaf," "research Toltec," "learn French," "why have I not purchased a lap top by now?"...sometimes I do all these things at once...Enough said.

Things are going well here at the orphanage. I'm surprising myself everyday :) I THINK I'm getting better with kids...or just these ones? I'm good at organizing things like the clubs...or the food closet...

I've started up a Tailoring Club and I have a great project for Knitting Club. I'm not so great at playing sports with the kids, but man, I can put a fabulous dress pattern together. Haha. 

Teaching has been interesting. The other morning, the principal of Achilo Corner (Francis), PINCHED MY CHIN while shaking my hand and asked me to breakfast...?? Said, "I'm very busy, but thanks," shook his hand and walked away. Ugh. Thought, "get me back to the kids." He pretty much avoided me the next day. 

It's all the little things that I love the most...

In class the other morning, one of the girls raised her hand to tell me that I had spelled "plural" wrong. I was so confused because I hadn't - it took me a moment to realized that i had done cursive 'L's' in the word 'plural'..Haha. I went on explaining that In America we learn what is called 'cursive' in elementary school (primary school). I wrote my name on the board in 'elementary' cursive and they flipped! haha. 

Also, in my P5 class (rascals) one of the girls pointed out that, "it's not botatoes, it's potatoes." (btw - you add an '-es' to singular countable nouns that end in '-o'). Apparently my 'p' looked like a 'b'. I don't even think they completely understand me when I try to explain that sometimes my penmanship becomes sloppy...how do you explain sloppy to them? Haha. They probably think I can't spell words in my own language and it's true I cant. They laugh. Always smiling, always laughing. I love it. 
They think I'm funny here...maybe I'll stick around.

Anyway, 

I love everyone. This is a quick one. Not much time today! Gotta get back! 

Miss you all!

Annika, got your email! Love your thoughts, lover :) xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment