Sunday, February 6, 2011

February 3, 2011.

First, Thank you to my dear friend, Scott. 

I packed my goodbye notes and letters and stumbled apon (one word? maybe two?) his the other night. It came at a good time, too...
Trying to dig through my box of...well...everything, desperately searching for my "after-bite" pen was getting extremely frustrated, as you all can imagine, and there it was :)
It put a smile on my face.

Scott, I don't know if you are keeping up on my blog but, you better be. It would have been awesome to have you as a body guard in Africa. I'll figure out a way for you to make it up for it...
maybe you can hold my hair back for me as I'm puking up my "welcome home" shots in the gutter out front of the bar...because your gonna be there!

Love you!

ps - mum I'm totally joking...

Secondly, after a whole month I am finally beginning to feel comfortable and understand the culture. After some great conversation with Jane over some great tasting, local Ugandan beer I have come to understand what Uganda has been through and why our work can here can be so complicated and hard. It's been interesting to learn from a true Ugandan. Jane is amazing and I am grateful to know her.

I am so lucky to have had it as good as I have! It was great to have witnessed Megan in action. She is fiercely dedicated to her work of helping the people (especially the woman) of Kabramaido and all over the world. I have had some of the best examples to shadow and really come to admire :)

This week (haha) I have felt so blessed. 
Thank you so much to all my friends and my family. Thank you to the friends who helped me to get out here and have this experience. I can't thank you enough. I am so thankful for the support that I have received. I will remember how much this whole experience has helped me to grow and become a better person, for the rest of my life. Wherever I go and whatever I decide to do with myself (if I ever figure it out) I will always remember how much everybody's love and support has helped me to restore faith in myself.

I can't wait for our reunion! 

Okay, down to business....

What the hell are "Articles" (a, an, or the) and why are they so complicated? I've been teaching English and they gave me the PRIMARY English book to look over and use for classes. I caps PRIMARY because I don't even remember this stuff!!! .............singular countable nouns, plural countable nouns, uncountable nouns, abstract nouns???, Ugh...How did I ever learn English?
Haha. It's been fun to teach the kids. I've been busy teaching two classes a day. P5 and P6. I grade the exercises AFTER I've written the answers the previous day in the back of my note book, then head home for lunch. I'll do some push-ups or something. Then hang with the kids for some Kumahm lessons. Then dinner. We have light if we're lucky. Then on my way to bed, I kick a few frogs out of the way (cause I'm comfortable doing that now) then work on my crossword puzzles, listen to claire de lune on my head phones and go to bed...
This is a day in the life of Mackie...give or take a few things...

The work here has been great and I'm learning so much about people and myself.

Some things I love and will miss...
-i love it when it rains and all the geiko's crawl through my windows and take cover...and i love my net ;)
-i will miss the freakin' fire flies! 
-i love the baby goats! "a din dyel"
-i love the baby chicks! 
-i will miss the smells of Africa.
-i will miss holding Peace's hand walking home from school

I love everybody! Thanks for existing!

ps...I just realized writing this email (thxs to check spelling)  that i have been spelling "exercises" wrong this whole time. The kids totally spell it the way i have been in their books!

xoxo
Mackie

No comments:

Post a Comment