Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Song of the week: Summertime

What a drag my last entry was!
I definitely have my ups and downs, but even the downs are valuable learning experience…

My nerves are jerkin’! I’m excited to get home and see you all, however, I know that I am going to miss Africa more than anything…

During prayers with the kids this last Sunday I was looking around at all their faces, realizing how much I’ve come to know them and love them in such a short amount of time. It surprised me that I know ALMOST every child’s name…So many to remember…I love them all so much. You all have to help me when I get home continue to help them. They are amazing and deserve it above and beyond!

Teaching is going well. I love the walk to and from school and to YOUR surprise…even when it’s deathly hot. I’m pretty much used to sweating from every pore and walking through a constant curtain of dust.

I can do ANYTHING after living in Africa for 3 months. What’s next? Everest? Meditating till I have no pulse? You got it.

I keep telling everyone to get ready for my homecoming and even I was thinking the same as you – PARTY! (Well, at least I hope that’s what you were thinking?). Now, I feel the need to warn you...I fear I may take on some of the same characteristics of a returned missionary or some thing. Haha. Thank goodness my little brother (by 19 months) is a freshly returned missionary as of February 18 and we can be weird together! Except I’ll be CLASPING a bottle of red till the death! Some things just never change ;) Love you Walker!

Since the new interns arrived last week I have re connected with white people, I am learning how to have normal conversation again, laughed to the point of tears, watched a movie, ate gummy worms and am now typing on a laptop. I’m a big kid now.

Kylie and Eden are fantastic! I have reminisced my High School years and for the first time in my life I am…possibly looked up to, asking me questions like…never mind…Haha. They are funny and have come at the perfect time. As we speak, Kylie has a Tanda (light therapy for your face) pressed up against her fore head…she’s 18. Haha.

I have read the book I brought 3 times. The continuous instruction of how to achieve my inner peace was an essence driving me mad. I needed to put it down. Kylie lent me a totally mindless book called The Guernsy Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society…
I know. Anyhow, It turned out to be fantastic and is a new favorite. Now…I am bookless, desperately waiting for another book coming in a package from Tom.
In the mean time, to keep busy and sane, I have taken up bracelet making…with string. I am proud to say that I have already made three.

I’ve decided that it would be a great project for the Arts and Crafts Club to learn how to make them. I can bring some home to sale to all of you. We can all be BFF’s with our matching bracelets.
I still love you all!

Song of Week:
Janis Joplin – Summertime




Also, In celebration of Radioheads new album release on Saturday - that I can’t listen to due to lack of technology in Africa – I’m posting one of my favorite Radiohead songs. One I have listened to much while my stay in Africa. Love, love.

Radiohead – Hail to the Theif – There There








Heart, me

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, yeah, finding this blog will be counted among one of the highlights of my life (right below getting married, and probably tied with having offspring). I've missed Mackie in my life.

    Liz (Day)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. pretty sure we learned how to make bracelets out of string in Activity Days a billion years ago.

    ReplyDelete