Saturday, January 22, 2011

Just Mackie

HELLLLLLOOOOOOO!
 

Ugh. I have finally made it into Soroti for internet access!!!!
I was going to cruise down a few days ago but I've been sick. Lying in bed for a few days made me super homesick! I was kinda freaking out. I am definitely out of my comfort zone here. I would get up to throw up in the middle of the night and it was like a maze of cockroaches feeding on primanteses and frogs nesting in the corners of the walls.....ughhh. I talked to Jane and I can buy "air time" here. You get a code and can call America. I talked to my mum and it made me feel so much better. I have been really wanting and needing to call you and see how everyone is!!!! I called Jess the other night to get your number but I ran out of air time and we got disconnected. I'll get it eventually and we'll talk.

Ah! I miss everybody. I miss the bar and I think about everybody all the time. HI ALL MY FRIENDS AT THE BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

I'm incredibly lucky to be here though....the internship that Megs has set up for me starting in Feb is amazing.

I'm teaching english to 4 classes a day (40 mins each class) and working on after school clubs. Then the kids teach me Kumahm 3 times a week (the language spoken in Kabremaido). Then, I'm doing A.W.F. evaluations with the kids - making sure they're getting the attention and education they need from the matrons AND I highlight one story per week with a child...etc...So, I'm going to be very busy.

I have so much to say. I'm sitting at the computer and my hands are shaking while typing cause I'm so anxious to get it all out but I probably wont get time to say all that I would like to...Sunday prayers are amazing, the fire flies at night BLOW MY MIND, um...I run or walk every morning and sense Tomalene has been at the Homestead - YOGA - my favorite EVERY MORNING. I feel like I'm serving and also on a yoga retreat :) Hm, what else? The sunsets are incredible..wow.. the list goes on.

I had a dream about Annika last night....Hahaha! I'm not even going to try and explain it.

 I miss everybody. It's going to be really hard. Megs, Trent and Tom leave the end of this month then I'm alone. Winnie the house keeper and Simon the cook are great but so annoyingly polite! Haha. We're are treated sooooo well here. The other day the pastor who comes to preach said, "Jesus coming to take you to heaven is like someone coming to take you to America." ......................................yeah. We are desperately trying to change that. The children are amazing and totally obsessed with white people. It can get tiring sometimes. They are absolutely amazing. They are so smart and so wanting to make a difference within themselves.

 Anyway, I'm definitely going to have my ups and downs but I'm going to really commit to my 3 month goal. Even if I'm miserable one day - something amazing will happen the next and I'll be so happy that I was here to  be apart of it. I'm beginning MY story here. Not as Diane's daughter or somebodies ex girlfriend or so and so's friend... Just me.

 Talk to you soon.
 Mackie

No comments:

Post a Comment