Friday, January 7, 2011

Kampala City Pt. 2

We're staying in Kampala again tonight. The place were staying is so beautiful. It's so green here. So humid. I'm sitting out on the balcony, it's about 75 degrees and so amazing.
It's sooo amazing here.

Today we had a couple of meetings. We met with another bead organization that megs wants the women in kabramido to team up with. They have cabs here and rickety bus cars and also motorcycles ..Doros is what they call them. They re everywhere and cheaper. We took a bus
today but mostly just hopped onto the back of the motorbike.

Today they took a short cut. It was through an alley way of poverty stricken people. You try not to stare cause your white and they re already staring at you, but a few glances is enough to get the picture. Pictures won't even do it justice. It's amazing how sad it is and like nothing I'll ever see but there's a strange acceptance here. In Kampala city a  starving woman is dying in front of a "studio hair salon"..and in the meeting with Fibre she stressed on the fact that these programs we're working on are to help people change because a lot them don't want to. They have to have the will to change then we
come in.

The people I've met so far are so amazing.

We go to the market in the morning to pick up supplies then take a 10 hour bus ride to kabramido. At that point I don't know how long it will be before I will touch base with anyone. Oh and thanks for giving me such a hard time about taking some jewelry! Everybody is rocking the gold, even megs. I'll have to pick up some hoops in the market tomorrow ;)

I'm glad that I get to see both worlds. Kabramido is going to be very different from Kampala. But it's been amazing to see the city world here. Megs says a lot of the kids in kabramido don't even know what goes on here and how different it is. Or that it even exists.

Okay. I'm out. I get nap time here too ;) well for now anyway...
Love you and the playlist you made me. I'm loving the Broken Social Scene song Sweetest Kill.

Xoxo
Mackie

Ps. I have some amazing photos but don't know how I will get them to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment